Friday, February 22, 2013

Who is BookGirl?

Who is BookGirl? I am a wife, teacher and reader. I love to read at home and at work. I love to read all types of books and authors. I also love to talk about books with my husband, friends, my mom, my book club (who are also my friends) and my students.

I live in Chicago with my husband Tim and my dog Maddie, both of whom are the loves of my life. I am most happy when I am sitting on the couch, cozy with my Maddie, reading while Tim is making me dinner (I wish) playing video games. Tim is 34 not 13 but he loves video games and I love him so...I guess Tim is lucky he has a wife who loves him and loves to read.

Enough about me, let's get to the books that have made me me! I once heard someone say the books that make you a reader are your book print, so here is my book print:The first book that makes up my book print is Baby Dear (Little Golden Book) by Esther and Eloise Wilkin. I loved this book when I was little and I can still see the pictures in my mind. I don't remember exactly what it was about but I do remember loving it and sitting on the couch while my mom read it to me.

The next book I remember loving and the book that started me playing teacher was Ramona Quimby Age 8 by Beverly Cleary. My mom bought me the book after my third grade teacher Mrs. Hogan read it to us. I would sit in my room and read it out loud to me "class." When I started my classroom library it was one of the first books that I bought and it is a book that I still love reading to my class. I love sharing the story with them about why it is such a special book to me. I also still laugh out loud when I read chapter 3, The Hard Boiled Egg Fad.


High school brings me to the next book that made me who I am, The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. This book came to me one spring break and I quickly inhaled it. This was the first book "adult" book that I read. It was the step from kid books. I huge step in a person's life and only now that I think about it do I even realize what an impact it had on my life. Years later this became the only movie I went to on my own. This is one of the few book to movie that I love!





In college I read Summer Sisters by Judy Blume. This is one of those books that I want to read over and over. It was also the first book that I really started to talk about and recommend to other people.





Also in college while I was studying to be a teacher I had a professor read us
Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco. This is when I realized what amazing messages children's books could give and I knew how much I was going to love sharing them with my students. 







The last book in my personal book print is The Wednesday Sisters: A Novel by: Meg Waite Clayton. This was the first book my book club read. I love my book club, it has brought amazing people into my life and three years later I still look forward to our monthly meetings all month!

This blog is going to be about the books I love to read for fun and the books I use to teach my first graders. I hope you enjoy and find some books to add to your own book print!

4 comments:

  1. I love the concept of a "Book Print". What an amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to second what CDoetsch said above what a great way to highlight the literature that has made an impact in our lives and allow other see how meaningful books are to our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your blog! I love talking about books with you when we get the chance! I also love the concept of a "Book Print" and I am going to spend some time thinking about that and it may be something I suggest we all do in my book club! Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for a blog!

    ReplyDelete