Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The One and Only Ivan

Today I finished reading my class The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate and we LOVED it. The kids were asking for extra reading time and we were having awesome discussions around vocabulary and comprehension and inferences. The characters are amazing and we were loving them!

One day last week I used the app iCard Sort to blast the students a huge list of adjectives. Then when we were done reading for the day they worked with a group to identify which adjectives described Ivan. They did an amazing job and I was super proud, they were on task the entire time and I finally had to have them move back to their desks. Each student shared his/her favorite adjective and they had to defend (Common Core :) it. Other students could disagree but they had to be able to say why. The conversation was amazing and we had the best time. I was amazed how students were choosing the same adjectives but were giving different reasons, it is so cool the way they think!

No comments:

Post a Comment